The National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic is helping fund NKF's initiatives in awareness, prevention and treatment as we lead the fight against kidney disease. With the increase in diabetes and high blood pressure-the two major risk factors-chronic kidney disease is rising as well. The NKF is working to reach the 1 in 3 American adults at risk with important prevention messages before it's too late. Your participation in our events has never been more critical.
- Chronic kidney disease affects 26 million Americans and most don't know it
- 1 in 3 American adults, or 73 million people are at increased risk
- Risk factors include high blood pressure, diabetes and family history of these conditions and kidney disease
- Early detection and proper treatment can slow or prevent kidney disease
- Once kidneys fail, patients need dialysis or a transplant to survive
- 94,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for a kidney transplant
- In the U.S., kidney disease kills 90,000 each year-more people than breast or prostate cancer