Top Five Ways To Prevent A UTI
The following steps may help to prevent UTIs:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Studies show that drinking a glass of cranberry juice each day may help prevent recurrent UTIs. New research also suggests a similar effect from other cranberry products, including dried cranberries and dietary supplements. Cranberries contain compounds that may stop certain bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract wall. For those with diabetes or at-risk for diabetes, low-sugar or sugar-free options are available.
- Don’t postpone going to the bathroom, urinate when you feel the urge.
- Empty your bladder completely before going to sleep.
- Women should also:
- Wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria from the bowels from getting into the urinary tract.
- Cleanse the genital area every day and before having sex.