Serves 24, 1 slice of cake per serving
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored & sliced
1 yellow sugar-free cake mix
3 egg whites
½ cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons maple sugar
- Microwave apple slices until soft, about 5 minutes on high.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Let the apple cool, while you mix the cake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix, spices, egg whites, water and oil; follow the mixing direction on the box.
- Mix in the apples.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick 9 X 13 cake pan.
- Bake until the cake is done (a tooth pick comes out clean), 35 to 45 minutes. (Remember, there is very little sugar in this batter, so the cake doesn’t brown.)
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with maple sugar.
Calories 102, total fat 5 g, saturated fat 1.1 g, monounsaturated fat 1.1 g, polyunsaturated fat 2.2 g, cholesterol 0 mg, calcium 24 mg, sodium 198 mg, phosphorus 64.5 mg, potassium 39 mg, carbohydrates 18 g, dietary fiber 0.6 g, sugar 2.7 g, protein 1.5 g