The Council of Nephrology Social Workers (CNSW) is a professional membership council within the National Kidney Foundation (NKF). CNSW's purpose is twofold:
- to assist patients and their families in dealing with the psychosocial stresses and lifestyle adjustments that come with a diagnosis of CKD and to facilitate a treatment program that will maximize rehabilitation potential; and
- to support the federal regulations governing ESRD reimbursement in regard to standards for social work practice and in the definition of a qualified social worker.
Purpose, Mission Statement and Goals
- Develop and promote patient education.
- Support and promote the profession and education of renal social worker.
- Impact regulatory and legislative issues.
- Ensure the use of qualified social workers in the CKD setting.
- Provide ongoing support and education to the CKD patient.
Iowa CNSW Purpose, Mission Statement and Goals
The Iowa Council of Nephrology Social Workers is an organization of nephrology social workers serving Iowa dialysis and kidney transplant centers.
The Council was organized to ensure communication between Iowa’s renal social workers. We focus on shared values, ideas and problem solving, as well as improving our clinical knowledge base and skills.
We enhance nephrology social work practice by:
- Supporting and promoting the profession and education of renal social work
- Enhancing nephrology social work practice by sharing information, providing educational opportunities, providing group support and rewarding/acknowledging efforts from group members
- Furthering awareness of chronic kidney disease
- Advocating for regulatory and legislative changes as appropriate.