Find A Car Donation By State
Basic Requirements to Donate a Car to Charity
- You must hold a clear title to the vehicle to donate a car to charity
- Have the year, make and model of your vehicle on hand
- To donate a car you must know and approximate the mileage and general condition of the vehicle
- You'll need your vehicle identification number (VIN). This 17-digit number can be found on your registration, your title and your insurance policy. It can also be found on your car, near the base of the windshield, usually on the left-hand side. If your vehicle is older, you may have the VIN number on the left-hand door post or the outer end of the driver's side door.
Calling in Your Car Donation
If you call in your car donation, an NKF representative will answer any questions you might have about Kidney Cars program procedures. The NKF representative will assist you with any title problems and setting a time to pick up your vehicle. You will be asked some questions about the vehicle's location and condition to help in scheduling your free pick-up. We accept all vehicles and towing is free of charge.
Afterwards, an NKF representative will be emailing or mailing you a packet. The packet will include:
- Instructions on preparing your title
- An odometer statement
- An envelope to send your title in
Once the NKF receives your completed car donation packet, we will contact you to schedule your free tow. The Kidney Cars Program is fully licensed and insured and service providers meet all local and federal EPA requirements.
Once the unit has sold you will receive a letter from the NKF acknowledging your intent to make a charity car donation and bearing the make, model and vehicle identification number on your vehicle. And if your vehicle has sold for more than $500 that letter will include the IRS's "Request for Taxpayer Identification" form, W9. Please return the W9 form when requested and we will then provide you with all the pertinent tax documentation required for a deduction after the completion of the process.
When We Receive Your Packet
Once the NKF receives your completed donate my car packet, we will contact you and schedule your free tow. The Kidney Cars Program is fully licensed and insured and service providers meet all local and federal EPA requirements.
Afterwards you will receive a letter from the NKF, which acknowledges that you wish to donate a car to charity. This will bear the make, model and vehicle identification number on your vehicle. In this piece of mail you will also receive all the related tax documentation required for a tax deduction when you donate a car to charity.