In 1996 the transAction Council was formed to address the needs of transplant recipients of all types as well as those who await a transplant. Our perspective is unique as we exist to serve candidates and recipients from the patient's perspective. Making use of our collective knowledge and experiences as well as those of our friends and acquaintances we seek to educate and empower our constituency by creating programs that specifically meet their needs. Membership in the transAction Council is free and open to all individuals and their families who are awaiting or have received a life-saving or life-enhancing organ transplant of any kind, as well as health care professionals, legislators and other interested individuals.
The mission of the transAction Council is to serve and represent the interests of all transplant candidates and recipients by:
- Working to improve the quality of life of transplant recipients
- Striving to enhance sensitivity to their needs
- Helping to articulate their experiences and perspectives
- Encouraging recipients to actively participate in their healthcare, thereby improving the effectiveness of the transplant process.
- Developing programs and services to meet the specific needs of our constituency
- Partnering with individuals and transplant related organizations
- Promoting donor awareness by demonstrating the success of transplantation
- Opportunity to share opinions and have a voice in legislative and public policy issues
- Legislative, medical and educational information updates
- Membership card
- Subscription to Transplant Chronicles, an e-newsletter for transplant recipients that also includes articles about waiting for a transplant and living donation.