The Director, Media Relations serves to strategically and proactively raise the local, regional and national profile of the Foundation. This position will serve as a liaison between the National Headquarters and the field offices and lead media relations/communications support for all external local events/initiatives and provide extensive support for all national launches. This person is responsible for supporting national, regional and local media and communications outreach and working collaboratively with social media team on campaigns to promote awareness of NKF events and programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In consultation with VP of Marketing, Communications & Public Affairs, develop and manage strategic earned media strategies for national launches of public awareness campaigns, foundation news, cause marketing campaigns, public policy and scientific initiatives.
- Consistently amplify awareness of NKF initiatives with strategic engagement strategies that use all forms of media including journalists, bloggers, vloggers, and key opinion formers.
- Monitor the foundation’s competition and coverage; develop actionable strategies from learnings.
- Build relationships with local staff and provide communications support for fundraising events and programs across all field offices.
- Develop communications strategies to support corporate cause marketing campaigns and public awareness initiatives.
- Identify, develop and implement communications strategies in key media markets.
- Develop and disseminate tool kits for field staff to promote local-level events and national events such as World Kidney Day. Tool kits include press release templates, media contact lists, social media graphics, tips on best practices and other relevant information.
- Develop and pitch national programs, initiatives and events to national, regional and local markets; and assist with pitching field level events to local media.
- Create an editorial calendar for all national launches and/or events to ensure that key external communications are being deployed.
- Supervise the production of weekly, monthly and quarterly earned media reports for use with internal and external stakeholders.
- Use Cision software to compile appropriate media contact lists per target market with support from department staff.
- Ensure the department team maintains updated traditional media and blogger lists.
- Book and schedule press tours/ briefings and interviews with reporters, producers and contributors/influencers and conduct all thorough follow-up as appropriate.
- Draft copy for a wide variety of writing assignments as assigned ranging from complex medical topics to consumer topics.
- In consultation with VP of Marketing, Communications & Public Affairs and Chief Marketing Officer, manage crisis communications for foundation and its local field offices.
- Working with VP of Marketing, Communications & Public Affairs assist in managing external agency consultants.
- Supervise full-time writer, work closely with other department staff.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a focus on Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism preferred.
- Minimum 10-12 years media relations experience in healthcare space, preferably with a nonprofit organization, pharmaceutical company or public relations agency, including minimum of 2 years social media experience on all major social media platforms.
- Understanding of digital marketing channels and digital-first PR strategies, including social media optimization, SEO-optimization, backlinking, and KPIs.
- Exceptional writing skills and able to visualize and translate complex messaging into relevant and interesting content.
- Excellent relationships with reporters covering health, science, public policy issues or similar issues.
- Experience securing national coverage in both traditional media (newspapers, magazines, TV) and online media is a must.
- Experience with national television guest booking and segment development.
- Demonstrated ability to master complex healthcare and scientific issues.
- Experience developing and managing strategic media relations initiatives with significant public profile.
- Must exhibit creativity in programs and approaches and an ongoing ability to adapt to change.
- Must be able to efficiently and independently manage projects and issues within a fast-paced department working on fluctuating deadlines.
- Must be able to write effective press statements and responses that incorporate input from foundation leaders and other experts.
- Impeccable attention to detail and ability to self-edit.
- Experience producing video content for broadcast and/or social media.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications. (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills that include the ability to effectively communicate in both writing and verbally.
- Must possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate supportive and collaborative relationships with peers, clients, partners, and executives.
- Must be a self-starter and work with a high level of initiative and flexibility.
- Ability to remain professional under high pressure situations.
- Ability to retain and protect confidential material.
Writing samples, including media placements must be submitted with application.
Please apply via email with your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations: