New York, NY
The Manager, Media Relations will assist Senior Manager of Media Relations to strategically and proactively raise the local, regional and national profile of the foundation. This position will work closely with the field offices, and provide media relations/communications support for external, local events/initiatives, and any national initiatives. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Media Relations with oversight from Vice President of Communications and Marketing, this person is responsible for supporting local and national media outreach and public awareness campaigns to enhance visibility of NKF fundraising events, signature programs, advocacy initiatives and research.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build relationships with local staff and support media strategy for events and programs across field offices.
- Develop and disseminate tool kits for field staff to promote their local events; tool kits may include press release templates, sample articles, media contact lists, photographs and captions, tips on best practices and more.
- Assist with pitching national programs such as Walk, Golf, Gala, NKF-funded research, and other initiatives and events to national, regional and trade press; and with select field level events to local media.
- Draft and develop press releases, statements, media advisories, content for internal/external newsletters and other publications as assigned.
- Working with Senior Manager, Media Relations identify, develop and execute communications strategies in key media markets.
- Ensure local offices are following best practices and utilizing the Media Volunteer program managed by Senior Manager, Media Relations; support efforts to further grow and develop this volunteer program.
- Use Cision software to compile appropriate media contact lists per target market.
- Provide monthly reports on press relations and work with Manager, Social Media to include social media interactions.
- Work with Senior Manager to craft appropriate responses to reporter requests.
- Support other Marketing & Communications department efforts as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a focus on Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years media relations experience, preferably with a nonprofit or public relations agency. Requires experience on all major social media platforms – Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram and basic online capabilities.
- Exceptional general health writing skills and can visualize, as well as convey, a message into relevant and interesting content.
- Must have relationships with reporters covering health, science, public policy issues or the proven ability to develop such contacts.
- Must be able to efficiently and independently manage projects and issues.
- Impeccable attention to detail and ability to self-edit.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications. (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills that include the ability to effectively communicate in both writing and verbally.
- Must possess excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate supportive and collaborative relationships with peers, partners, and executives.
- Must be self-starter and work with a high level of initiative and flexibility.
- Ability to remain professional under high pressure situations.
- Ability to retain and protect confidential material.
- Writing samples, including media placements must be submitted with application.