A Community That Cares
We’re happy to report that fair weather held out for the duration of the event, allowing everyone to enjoy the beauty of Eisenhower Park. The festivities included face-painting, a DJ, and the opportunity to learn more about Kidney Health and healthcare providers. Top fundraising team, Brenda’s Band, raised $11,505 and proudly carried the tribute banner as they lead the 3-mile Walk around Eisenhower Park. They walked in honor of Brenda Mazzara, who was diagnosed with lupus in 2011, leading to kidney failure in 2013. Sadly, the Long Island community lost Brenda shortly after last year’s Walk in June of 2017. In previous Walk’s the team name had been Kidney Cousins, as a nod to the fact that Brenda’s cousin, Michael, was approved to be a donor through a small chain. After Brenda’s passing they decided to carry on her memory by reigniting the team as Brenda’s Band for the 2018 Long Island Kidney Walk. This year, they were led by Brenda’s daughter, Caitlin Murphy, and long time friend, Annette Cippolla. As a special surprise, Brenda’s daughter, Vanessa, flew in from Las Vegas to join them.
The Top 10 Fundraising Teams and their Captains:
- Brenda’s Band – Caitlin Murphy - $11,505
- Henry Schein Dialysis – Ashley Meekins - $5,150
- Team Teger – Jeanine Teger - $5,150
- Transplant Trotters – Andrew Dobish - $4,656
- Jim’s Orange Team – Jim McIntosh - $3,780
- Team LIJ Dialysis – Janet Posadas - $3,270
- Lee’s Kidney Team – Leonora Maloney - $3,155
- Chrissy’s Kidneys – Christina Murray - $2,600
- NUMC/AHP Dialysis Unit – Alyssa Idaspe - $2,595
- Keepin' it Renal – Danielle Sala and Andre Balfour - $1,650
We'd like to thank our local sponsors and exhibitors: Azura Vascular Care, Logisticare, Cassena Care, New York Community Bank, and LiveOn NY. We'd also like to extend our sincere gratitude to in-kind sponsors RXBar and Bai.
We hope that you can join us either at the NYC Kidney Walk, or next year in Long Island, to experience this unique celebration of life!
To view photos of the event, click here to visit our Facebook page.
Planning is already underway for the 2019 Long Island Walk, If you'd like to get involved please contact Sean Rugenstein at (212) 889-2210 ext. 296 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.