Each year, the CRN leadership seeks out the yummiest kidney-friendly recipes to share with patients. Check out our winning recipes below!
Lime Chicken Tacos
Tara Bzdok, RD, LD
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Juice of 3 limes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 small low sodium flour tortillas
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 1/2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker
- In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and pepper
- Pour the lime juice mixture over the chicken thighs
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Use a hand mixer on low to shred the chicken in the crock pot
- Strain some of the liquid out before adding to tortillas
- Layer tortillas with chicken, red onions, cilantro and salsa
Calories 360, Total Fat 10.2 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Sodium 348 mg, Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g, Dietary Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 36.9 g, Potassium 439 mg, Phosphorous 230 mg
Congratulations to Brittany Sparks, RDN, CSR, for her winning submission for Sweet and Sour Tofu & Veggies!
Sweet and Sour Tofu & Veggies
Author: Brittany Sparks, RDN, CSR
Makes: 7 (1 cup) Servings
Dialysis/CKD/Diabetes Friendly Entree
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 35 min
- 1 Cup White Rice, Cooked According to Package Directions
- 14 oz Firm or Extra Firm Tofu (397 g)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Snow Peas, Cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Cut in 1-inch pieces (~1 cup)
- 1 Medium Onion, Cut in 1-inch pieces (~1 cup)
- 1 Cup Sliced Carrots
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 (8oz) Can Pineapple Chunks in Juice
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Green Onions
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Remove tofu from package and drain excess liquid. Using a dish cloth or paper towels press as much liquid from tofu. Cut the tofu into 3 (1/4th inch) sheets. Cut each sheet diagonally on both sides to form 4 triangles. Now cut each triangle diagonally to form 8 small triangles. Pat with dish cloth once more to remove excess liquid.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the tofu and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by separating the pineapple chunks from the juice. In a small saucepan add the pineapple juice and the rest of the ingredients for the sauce. Whisk together to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat then reduce heat to low. Allow to cook, whisking occasionally for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the large skillet used to cook the tofu, add the snow peas, bell pepper, onion and carrots and sauté over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes. Now add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add in the pineapple chunks and tofu and cook for an additional minute. Add the sauce to the pan and toss to combine.
- Serve warm with 1/2 cup cooked rice. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Serving Size (1 Cup Sweet and Sour Tofu & Veggies and 1/2 Cup Rice):
Calories 253, Total Fat 4.3 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.1 g, Saturated Fat 0.7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g, Sodium 395 mg, Total Carbohydrate 45 g, Dietary Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 8.3 g, Potassium 346 mg, Phosphorous 129 mg
*All ingredients were weighed and measured and nutrient analysis was calculated using the USDA Nutrient Database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
Congratulations to Brittany Sparks, RDN, CSR, for her winning submission for Pesto Chicken, Veggies, & Rice. We'll be featuring this recipe online
Pesto Chicken, Veggies, & Rice
Author: Brittany Sparks, RDN, CSR
Makes 8 (1 cup) Servings
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Total: 30 min
- 2 Chicken Breasts (Boneless/Skinless), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Cups Cooked White Rice (~1 cup raw)
- 1 Medium Orange Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Cup Sliced Zucchini, (~1 small zucchini)
- 1 Cup Broccoli Florets
- 2 Whole Cloves of Garlic + 6 Cloves Minced
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil + 1 Tbsp
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts, *Toasted (see note below)
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil Leaves (42 grams)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- To toast the walnuts place in a pan over medium heat stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes, or until they start to release their oils.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- To make the pesto place the basil, 2 cloves of garlic, parmesan cheese and toasted walnuts in a food processor and process until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running slowly add in 1/3 cup of olive oil and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the diced bell pepper and broccoli florets to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Next add the zucchini and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the zucchini begins to soften.
- Add in the 2 cups of cooked rice, pesto sauce and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Calories 290, Total Fat 16.5 g, Saturated Fat 2.7 g, Monounsaturated Fat 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 3.8 g, Sodium 385 mg, Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g, Dietary Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 19 g, Potassium 410 mg, Phosphorous 224 mg
This recipe is CKD/Dialysis and Diabetic Friendly.
This is meant to be an entrée item.
The USDA Nutrient Database was used in calculating the nutrient analysis. Food scales were used to measure ingredients for analysis.