NKF’s Living Donor Council was formed to support and address the unique needs of living donors and those considering living donation. . Through educational and supportive resources, consensus conferences with medical professionals and legislative initiatives, the NKF works to represent living donor views on:
- Education and information needs for families and professionals
- Public policy issues to improve the care provided to donors
- Medical concerns before, during and after donation
- Financial, employment and insurance issues before, during and after donation
- Emotional issues surrounding living donation
- Relationships with recipients and family members
- The live donor experience
The NKF also serves as a communication link among living donors and between donors and the transplant community. Everyone interested in these issues is welcome to join our email list to receive periodic updates about new resources and public policy initiatives.
The mission of the Living Donor Council is:
- To enhance all aspects of the living donation process, including but not limited to, the decision whether or not to donate, the procedure and post-donation care
- To provide educational and support resources at all phases of living donation
- To advocate on behalf of living donors and potential donors
- To utilize the experiences of living donors in order to educate prospective donors, increase awareness of the needs of living donors and those considering donation, and enhance the living donation process.
- Peer Support for living donors or those considering living donation
- 20% Discount on NKF Store
- With email, you’ll also be part of our electronic Advocacy Action Center where you lend your voice to legislative and public policy issues affecting the chronic kidney disease, transplant and donor communities.
- Information on local events in your area
- Access to webinars on issues affecting kidney patients, transplant recipients, and living donors. Including policy issues, new programs, research, and educational information.