The Council of Nephrology Social Workers (CNSW) is a professional membership council within the National Kidney Foundation (NKF). CNSW's purpose is twofold:
- to assist patients and their families in dealing with the psychosocial stresses and lifestyle adjustments that come with a diagnosis of CKD and to facilitate a treatment program that will maximize rehabilitation potential; and
- to support the federal regulations governing ESRD reimbursement in regard to standards for social work practice and in the definition of a qualified social worker.
Purpose, Mission Statement, Goals
- Support and promote the profession and education of renal social work.
- Impact regulatory and legislative issues.
- Ensure the use of qualified social work in the ESRD setting.
- Provide ongoing support and education to the renal consumer.
MCNSW Mission Statement and Goals:
Michigan Council of Nephrology Social Workers is an organization of Nephrology Social Workers serving consumers in Michigan's dialysis and kidney transplant centers.
The Council was organized to ensure communication between Michigan's renal Social Workers. We focus on shared values, ideas and problem solving, and on improving our clinical knowledge base and skills.
We enhance Nephrology Social Work practice by:
- Sharing educational tools
- Providing educational programs
- Gathering data from dialysis and transplant social workers
- Providing group support
- Gathering current legislative, statistical, environmental, and insurance information that affects renal consumers.
- Rewarding and acknowledge members of the organization.