Donald W. Seldin Award
Melanie Hoenig, MD
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center & Harvard Medical School
The Donald W. Seldin Award was established to recognize excellence in clinical nephrology in the tradition of one of the foremost teachers and researchers in the field, Dr. Donald W. Seldin.
Dr. Melanie Hoenig is a nephrologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. She is the new editor for the Core Curriculum Feature of AJKD. Dr. Hoenig learns and teaches with Channel Your Enthusiasm, a podcast book club exploring Burton Rose’s Clinical Physiology of acid base and electrolyte disorders. For nearly 2 decades, she has been the course director for renal physiology and pathophysiology at Harvard Medical School, most recently leading Homeostasis 2 (renal, endocrine, and GI physiology and pathophysiology).
Dr. Hoenig recently served as the chair of the American Association of Clinical Chemistry’s eGFR and Race Equity Task Force which endorsed new eGFR formulas to estimate kidney function without race. Dr. Hoenig is the renal section editor for Knowledge +, a board review product from the NEJM group and was the first editor of KSAP, the Kidney Self-Assessment Program, an American Society of Nephrology program to help nephrologists prepare for the ABIM certification examination. Her clinical interests are kidney disease in the context of HIV and transition to adult care for young people with kidney disease.
View press release here.
Dr. Hoenig's clinical interests are kidney disease in the context of HIV and transition to adult care for young people with kidney disease.
Past Donald W. Seldin Award Recipients:
- 2022: J. Kevin Tucker, MD
- 2021: Mark Perazella, MD, MS
- 2020: Gary Curhan, MD
- 2019: Jerry Yee, MD
- 2018: Jeffrey Berns, MD, FNKF
- 2017: Jonathan Himmelfarb, MD
- 2016: Bruce A. Molitoris, MD
- 2015: David Salant, MD
- 2014: Ronald Perrone, MD
- 2013: Joanne M. Bargman, MD, FRCPC
- 2012: Gerald B. Appel, MD
- 2011: Sharon Adler, MD
- 2010: Fredric L. Coe, MD, FACP, FASN
- 2009: William F. Keane, MD
- 2008: Thomas D. DubBose, Jr., MD
- 2007: L. Lee Hamm, MD, FACP
- 2006: Heini Murer, PhD and Bernard S. Rossier
- 2005: Roland C. Blantz, MD
- 2004: Gerhard H. Giebisch, MD
- 2003: William M. Bennett, MD
- 2002: Professor Carl Erik Mogensen
- 2001: Friedrich K. Port, MD, MS, FACP
- 2000: Tilman B. Drüeke, MD
- 1999: Shaul G. Massry, MD
- 1998: Alan R. Hull, MD
- 1997: Thomas F. Parker, III, MD
- 1996: Floyd C. Rector, MD
- 1995: Barry M. Brenner, MD