One resource that you can always go to is your dialysis or transplant social worker. Community social workers in local hospitals or agencies can help direct you to local resources.
Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Medicare Rights Center hotline: 1-800-333-4114
Find information on your state Medicaid program at www.medicaid.gov
Medicare Savings Program (MSPs)
There are programs that help millions of people with Medicare save money each year. States have programs for people with limited income and resources that pay some or all of Medicare’s premiums and may pay Medicare deductibles and coinsurance. To learn more about what is offered in your state visit www.medicare.gov/contacts/staticpages/msps.aspx.
The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan makes health insurance available to people who have had a problem getting insurance due to a pre-existing condition.
The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan:
- Covers a broad range of health benefits, including primary and specialty care, hospital care, and prescription drugs.
- Does not charge you a higher premium just because of your medical condition.
- Does not base eligibility on income.
Search for Insurance Options by State:
- Online search for insurance plans nationwide.
- Offers educational info on health care and the Affordable Care Act.
- State by state resources search tool, education, and uninsured helpline
- U.S. Uninsured Help Line - Call 800.234.1317
- Online search engine to locate a doctor, health center, organization, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, etc.
- Online search engine to find free and low-cost health centers
National Organization for State Kidney Programs
Call 1-800-733-7345 to find out if your state has a Kidney Program.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits
Apply for compensation, pension, education or vocational rehabilitation benefits on-line if you are a veteran U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits
The VA can help pay for treatment or provide other benefits for veterans. Veterans should contact their local VA office for more information or call 1-800-827-1000 to reach the national office. The number for health care benefits at the VA is 1-877-222-8387. People who are retired from the military may also call the U.S. Department of Defense at 1-800-538-9552. For information on TRICARE military health plans visit www.tricare.mil.
State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has established the SCHIP to help children without health insurance. SCHIP provides health coverage for children whose families earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford private health insurance. Consumers can obtain information about the program by calling 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669) or by checking www.insurekidsnow.gov.
- Continuation of Health Coverage - Department of Labor's consumer information on COBRA (continuation of health insurance)
Health Insurance Consumer Guides - Consumer Guides for Getting and Keeping Health Insurance for every state and the District of Columbia, alerts for consumers, newsletter
Indian Health Service - provides information about health services for American Indians and links
Patient AirLift Services is a volunteer pilot organization arranging free air transportation to patients and their families for medical purposes. Covers Northeastern U.S. from Maine to Virginia to Ohio. Learn more at www.palservices.org or call 888-818-1231.