Learn the basics!
Most patients in the early stages of kidney disease need to limit the amount of sodium in their diet. Some patients may be told to limit protein in their diet as well. The DASH diet is often recommended for patients with kidney disease. Be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about your specific nutrition needs.
- DASH Diet
- Enjoy Your Own Recipes Using Less Protein
- Sodium and Your CKD Diet: How to Spice Up Your Cooking
If your kidney disease gets worse, you may also need to limit potassium or phosphorus in your diet. Talk with your healthcare provider about your specific nutrition needs.
Here are some additional resources to help you stay healthy with kidney disease through your diet:
- Protein – Variety and Moderation is the Key
- Carbohydrate Counting with Chronic Kidney Disease
- How to Increase Calories in Your CKD Diet
- Cholesterol and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dining Out With Confidence
- Use of Herbal Supplements in Kidney Disease
- Vitamins and Minerals in Kidney Disease
- What You Should Know About Good Nutrition
- Your Guide to the New Food Label
- Spice Up Your Diet
- Food Safety is a Must!
- Cookbooks for Kidney Patients
- Dairy and Our Kidneys