Why are blueberries a superfood?
- Blueberries are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, and antioxidants.
- Blueberries are low in calories and high in fiber; ½ cup of blueberries has 40 calories with about 2 grams of fiber
- They are available in stores year-round, either fresh or frozen
- You can eat them plain or add them to your favorite cereal, pancakes, or fruit salad
Blueberries and kidney disease
A ½ cup serving of blueberries has less than 150 milligrams potassium making them a low potassium fruit choice. Blueberries are also low in sodium and phosphorus making them suitable for a kidney friendly diet.
They are safe to eat for all of the following kidney conditions and treatments:
- Hemodialysis (3 times/week)
- Daily Home and Nocturnal Hemodialysis/Peritoneal Dialysis
- Kidney Stones
Want to save this information for later?