Why are apples a superfood?
- Rich in antioxidants, don’t forget to leave on the peel which gives you 2-6 times the antioxidant power
- Good source of fiber, which can help with constipation
- Good source of vitamin C which is important for healthy tissues and your immune system
- Can help you feel fuller for longer periods of time, are low in calories, and may help control blood sugar when chosen over fruit juices
Apples and kidney disease
Apples are low in potassium, phosphorus, and sodium so they are a great choice for a kidney friendly diet. They are safe to eat for all of the following kidney conditions and treatments:
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)/Transplant
- Hemodialysis (3 times/week)
- Daily Home and Nocturnal Hemodialysis/ Peritoneal Dialysis
- Kidney Stones
Want to save this information for later?
Download the National Kidney Foundation’s Fact Sheet: Kidney-Friendly Superfoods: Apples
This content is provided for informational use only and is not intended as medical advice or as a substitute for the medical advice of a healthcare professional.