MDRD Study Equation
175 x (SCr)-1.154 x
0.742 [if female] x
1.212 [if Black]
Abbreviations / Units
eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) = mL/min/1.73 m2
Scr (standardized serum creatinine) = mg/dL
age = years
- Creatinine is assayed using methods that are traceable to IDMS assigned NIST certified reference materials. To learn more, go to nkdep.nih.gov.
- Estimates GFR adjusted for body surface area.
- Designed for use with laboratory creatinine values that are standardized to IDMS.
- Is more accurate than creatinine clearance measured from 24-hour urine collections or estimated by the Cockcroft-Gault formula.
- Was re-expressed in 2005 for use with a standardized serum creatinine assay which yields 5% percent lower values for serum creatinine concentration.
- Stevens LA, Manzi J, Levey AS, et al. Impact of creatinine calibration on performance of GFR estimating equations in a pooled individual patient database. Am J Kidney Dis. Jul 2007;50(1):21-35.
- Levey AS, Coresh J, Greene T, et al. Using standardized serum creatinine values in the modification of diet in renal disease study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145(4):247-254.
- Levey AS, Coresh J, Greene T, et al. Expressing the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate with standardized serum creatinine values. Clin Chem. Apr 2007;53(4):766-772.