Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Part D helps you learn about Medicare prescription drug coverage and find and compare prescription drug plans.
If you have Medicare and are having trouble paying for your prescriptions you should apply for "Extra Help" with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs through the Social Security Administration. You can apply online or call Social Security at 1 (800) 772-1213 or visit your local social security office.
State Kidney Programs are available in approximately 15 states and offer assistance for kidney transplant or dialysis patients with outpatient medications and other expenses.
State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs are offered in many states and the U.S. Virgin Islands and help paying drug plan premiums and/or other drug costs.
Many drug companies offer prescription assistance programs for their medications to those who qualify. Here are some common medications and companies for dialysis patients and transplant recipients:
Abbott Laboratories / AbbVie Products AbbVie Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 222-6885
- Ensure, Glucerna, Nepro - dialysis nutritional products
- Gengraf® (cyclosporin) - immunosuppressant for organ transplant recipients
- Zemplar® - hyperparathyroidism www.zemplar.com/zemplar-cost-savings.aspx
Amgen Assist (800) 272-9376
- Aranesp® - pre-dialysis and dialysis anemia medication
- Epogen® - pre-dialysis and dialysis anemia medication
- Sensipar® - dialysis medication to lower PTH (parathyroid)
The Safety Net Foundation helps provide Amgen medications to the uninsured.
Astellas Reimbursement Services (800) 477-6472
- Prograf® (tacrolimus) Prograf Copay Card - transplant
- CellCept® The CellCept Copay Card - kidney, heart, liver transplant recipients
- Rituxan® GPA and MPA Support Line (877) 317-5179
- Valcyte® Valcyte InCharge Patient Program (VIP) - for the prevention of CMV (cytomegalovirus) in kidney, heart, pancreas transplant recipients
Keryx Patient Plus (855-686-8601)
- Auryxia™ (Ferric Citrate) – Phosphate Binder
Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 245-5356
- Myfortic® - kidney transplant recipients
- Neoral® (cyclosporin)- kidney, heart, liver transplant recipients
- Sandimmune® (cyclosporin) - kidney, heart, liver transplant recipients
- Zortress® (everolimus) Patient Reimbursement Support - kidney transplant recipients
Novartis Patient Assistance for Medicare Beneficiaries (800) 942-3424
Pfizer Helpful Answers (866) 706-2400
- Rapamune® (sirolimus) Copay Savings Card - kidney transplant recipients
- Acthar® Support and Access Program (800) 411-3065 - for proteinuria in nephrotic syndrome
Sanofi-Genzyme BioVentures (formerly Genzyme)
Renal Patient Assistance Program (800) 847-0069
- Renvela® RenValue - phosphate binder for dialysis patients
Shire Cares Patient Assistance & Support (888) CARES-55 / (888) 227-3755
- Fosrenol® On Track - phosphate binder for dialysis patients
Some websites allow you to search for prescription assistance programs by medicine:
American Organ Transplant Rx assists transplant patients with the cost of their immunosuppressant drug therapy by providing up to 65% savings on generic medications with overall average savings of 40% across brand and generic medications combined. (727) 526-0317
BenefitsCheckUp is a free service of the National Council on Aging (NCOA), a nonprofit service and advocacy organization in Washington, DC. BenefitsCheckUp helps you find state, federal, and private benefits programs available where you live. These benefits programs can help pay for prescriptions, health care, food, utilities, and more. You can also get help with tax relief, transportation, legal issues, or finding work.
Needy Meds helps people obtain prescription assistance and offers a discount card for those eligible which can help people save up to 80% on the cost of their medications.
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines they need for free or nearly free. 1-888-4PPA-NOW (477-2669)
The Patient Access Network offers help and hope to people with chronic or life-threatening illnesses for whom cost limits access to breakthrough medical treatments: kidney transplant immunosuppressant and solid organ transplant immunosuppressant. 866-316-PANF (7263)
RxAssist Patient Assistance Program Center can help you learn about ways to use pharmaceutical company programs and other resources to help reduce your medication costs.
RxHope provides assistance and advocacy for people in need to obtain critical medications that they would normally have trouble affording. 1 (877) 267-0517
Sav-Rx Prescription Services allows you to price medications if you are paying out of pocket. 1 (800) 228-3108
Walmart's Discounted Drug Program offers many prescription drugs for $4. Use this site to search for your medication and dosage.