Prescription Discount and Assistance Resources
Free prescription discount card benefiting the National Kidney Foundation — anyone can save immediately! There is no income qualification, no paperwork, and no waiting for your pre-activated card.
Use the card to receive discounts on prescriptions while helping fight kidney disease at the same time. All medications are eligible for savings, including pet meds! Every time you save using the card, the National Kidney Foundation will receive a donation from BuzzRx Health, at no cost to you*. Check out this NEW resource to save you money on your medications!
*the NKF receives up to $1 per discounted script
Do you find it hard to manage your medications or keep them refilled on time? Now there is help.
Many pharmacies across the nation are participating in a new service that helps you coordinate your prescription refills so they are all due on the same day each month. This means you do not need to call in multiple prescription refills. It also reduces the number of trips you need to take to the pharmacy. For more information, go to www.aphafoundation.org/align-my-refills.
Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Part D helps you learn about Medicare prescription drug coverage and find and compare prescription drug plans.
If you have Medicare and are having trouble paying for your prescriptions you should apply for "Extra Help" with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs through the Social Security Administration. You can apply online or call Social Security at 1 (800) 772-1213 or visit your local social security office.
State Kidney Programs are available in approximately 15 states and offer assistance for kidney transplant or dialysis patients with outpatient medications and other expenses.
State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs are offered in many states and the U.S. Virgin Islands and help paying drug plan premiums and/or other drug costs.
Prescription Assistance Programs by Company
Many drug companies offer prescription assistance programs for their medications to those who qualify. Here are some common medications and companies for dialysis patients and transplant recipients:
- Aranesp® (darbepoetin alfa) Amgen Assist 360 1-888-427-7478. The Safety Net Foundation helps provide Amgen medications to the uninsured.
- Epogen® (epoetin alfa) Amgen Assist 360 1-800-272-9376. The Safety Net Foundation helps provide Amgen medications to the uninsured.
GLP-1 RA (Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists)
- BYDUREON BCise® (Exenatide extended-release)AstraZeneca Prescription Savings Program 1-844-692-2473
- Byetta (exenatide) AztraZeneca Affordability Support
- Mounjaro™ (Tirzepatide) Lilly Savings Resources for Mounjaro
- Ozempic® (Semaglutide) Novo Nordisk Patient Assistance Program (PAP)
- Rybelsus® (Semaglutide) Novo Nordisk Savings Resources for Rybelus
- Saxenda® (Liraglutide) Novo Nordisk Savings Resources for Saxenda
- Trulicity® (Dulaglutide) Lilly Savings Resources for Trulicity
- Victoza® (Liraglutide) Novo Nordisk Savings Resources for Victoza
Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (GPA) (Wegener’s Granulomatosis)
- Rituxan® (rituximab) Genentech Rituxan Support Line (877) 317-5179
- Zemplar® (paricalcitol) AbbVie Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 222-6885
- Sensipar® (cinacalcet) Amgen Assist 1-800-272-9376
Non-steroidal mineralocorticoid antagonists (MRAs)
- Kerendia® (finerenone) Bayer US Patient Assistance Foundation
- Ensure, Glucerna, Nepro AbbVie Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 222-6885
- Velphoro® (sucroferric oxyhydroxide) Fresenius Medical Care North America Velphoro Patient Access Solutions (877-774-6756)
- Auryxia™ (ferric citrate) Akebia Therapeutics Assistance Program for Auryxia
- Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) Sanofi RenValue Program
- Fosrenol® (lanthanum carbonate) Takada Help at Hand
Proteinuria due to nephrotic syndrome
- Cortrophin™ (repository corticotropin injection USP) ANI Pharmaceuticals Cortrophin In Your Corner (800) 805-5258
- Acthar® (repository corticotropin injection) Mallinckrodt Support and Access Program (800) 411-3065
- Invokana® (canagliflozin) Janssen CarePath
- Farxiga® (dapagliflozin) AstraZeneca Farxiga Patient Savings and Insurance Support
- Jardiance® (empagliflozin) Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Support for Jardiance
- Steglatro® (ertugliflozin) Merck Patient Resources for Steglatro
- Gengraf® (cyclosporin) - AbbVie Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 222-6885
- Prograf® (tacrolimus) Astellas Patient Savings Information (800) 477-6472
- Valcyte® (valganciclovir hydrochloride) Genentech Access to Care 888-754-7651
- CellCept® (mycophenolate mofetil) Genetech CellCept Copay Card 1-833-235-5237 Genentech Access to Care 888-754-7651
- Myfortic® (mycophenolic acid) Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 245-5356
- Neoral® (cyclosporin) Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 245-5356
- Sandimmune® (cyclosporin) Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 245-5356
- Zortress® (everolimus) Novartis Patient Assistance Foundation (800) 245-5356
- Envarsus XR® (tacrolimus extended-release tablets) Veloxis Pharmaceuticals Transplant Support 1-844-VELOXIS
Some websites allow you to search for prescription assistance programs by medicine:
BenefitsCheckUp is a free service of the National Council on Aging (NCOA), a nonprofit service and advocacy organization in Washington, DC. BenefitsCheckUp helps you find state, federal, and private benefits programs available where you live. These benefits programs can help pay for prescriptions, health care, food, utilities, and more. You can also get help with tax relief, transportation, legal issues, or finding work.
The Patient Access Network (PAN) offers help and hope to people with chronic or life-threatening illnesses for whom cost limits access to breakthrough medical treatments. 866-316-PANF (7263) Kidney related conditions that PAN offers assistance for are hyperkalemia and secondary hyperparathyroidism.