Accrediting Your Program with the NKF
Activity planning forms must be submited at least 60 days prior to the event. NKF will contact you in approximately two (2) weeks to provide a project number that must be used as a reference when submitting the supporting documentation for review.
General CE Accreditation Information
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is an accredited provider to offer continuing education to health professionals. These include:
- Physicians*: Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Nurses and Dialysis Technicians: American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Dietitians: Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR)
- Social Workers: Joint accreditation
*Advanced practitioners (physician assistants, clinical nurse specialists and nurse practitioners) can receive certificates of attendance applicable to them for activities accredited through ACCME.
Local Chapters must accredit their pograms through NKF CME/CE, and abide by the NKF’s CME/CE regulations.
Local Chapters are required to:
- Adhere to NKF’s CME/CE process for all educational activities
- Follow the Grant Request Submission Policy if funding is being sought through a commercial interest to ensure appropriate submission and completion of grant application documentation. This policy and process can be found here. Submissions must be received at least 100 days prior to the event.
- Submit a completed accreditation application packet to the NKF CE staff. This packet must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the event.
- All promotional materials must be approved by NKF headquarters prior to distribution.
- Per the NKF Conflict of Interest Policy, all individuals who participate in an NKF activity must complete required Disclosure documentation. This information is kept confidential and on file at NKF headquarters.
- Faculty and Planners cannot be employed by a commerical interest, such as pharmaceutical or device companies. This includes Fresenius as well. If you choose to include a commerical faculty, we cannot accredit the program.
- Provide post-program materials (i.e. completed sign-in sheets, evaluation summaries, etc.) to NKF headquarters.
Tips for Planning CE Activities:
- Ensure you have a strong planning committee in place that can serve as a liaison between you and your faculty. Planning committee members should be representative of the target audience and/or type of accreditation being sought.
- Content should be unbiased and free of product placement and company logos. Speaker bureau presentations are also prohibited.
- Faculty should be selected based on expertise in topic/content.
- Maintain appropriate receipts for reconciliation of funds and documentation of all content-related correspondence between your planning committee and faculty.
- Maintain constant communication with your faculty, planning committee, and NKF headquarters throughout the process.