- The Compassionate Friends is a national nonprofit, self-help support organization that offers friendship and understanding to families who are grieving the death of a child of any age, from any cause. Local chapters throughout the U.S. and internationally. P. O. Box 3696, Oak Brook, IL 60522-3696, 877-969-0010 www.compassionatefriends.org.
- Alive Alone is an organization for the education and charitable purposes to benefit bereaved parents, whose only child or all children are deceased, by providing a self- help network and publications to promote communication and healing, to assist in resolving their grief, and a means to reinvest their lives for a positive future. 11115 Dull Robinson Road, Van Wert, OH 45891 www.alivealone.org.
- Lamenting Sons: Fathers and Grief provides some thoughts and resources online for fathers grieving children lost to illness, accidents, homicide, suicide, and other tragedies. http://members.tripod.com/~Lifegard/index-4.html.
Infant Death or Miscarriage
- SIDS Network is the growing collaborative effort of individuals from across the United States and around the world. The website offers up-to-date information as well as support for those who have been touched by the tragedy of SIDS and Other Infant Death (OID). PO Box 520, Ledyard, CT 06339 http://sids-network.org.
- American SIDS Institute is dedicated to the prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and the promotion of infant health through research, clinical services, family support and professional and community education. 2480 Windy Hill Road, Suite 380, Marietta, GA 30067, 770-612-1030 www.sids.org.
- SIDS Alliance is a national, non-profit, voluntary health organization dedicated to the support of SIDS families, education and research. 1314 Bedford Avenue, Suite 210, Baltimore, Maryland 21208, 800-221-SIDS (7437) www.sidsalliance.org.
- National Sudden Infant Death Resource Center produces and provides professional and consumer education materials and makes referrals to national, state and local organizations. Newsletter, database of information on SIDS. 2070 Chain Bridge Road, Suite 450, Vienna, VA 22182, 866-866-7437 (toll free) www.sidscenter.org.
- Unite Inc. offers national support for parents grieving miscarriage, stillbirth and infant death. Unite provides local group meetings, education and outreach, group development help, group facilitator training programs, quarterly newsletter, annual conference, phone help and professionals in advisory/coordinator roles. c/o Jeanes Hospital, 7600 Central Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, 215-728-2082.
- Triplet Connection Tender Heats is a network of parents who have lost one or more children in multiple births. PO Box 99571, Stockton, CA 95209, 209-474-0885.
- Twinless Twins Support Group, International was founded to support twins (all multiple births) who suffer from the loss of companionship of their twin through death, estrangement, or in-utero loss. Annual conference, professional referrals, family member support and more. PO Box 980481, Ypsilanti, MI 48198-0481, 888-205-8962 www.twinlesstwins.org.
- Sibling Grief & Healing is an online message board for discussion on coping with the death of a brother or sister through the Tom Golden Crisis, Grief and Healing site. http://webhealing.com/forums/index.php/board,3.0.html.
Helping Children Grieve
- Rainbows is a not-for-profit, international organization that offers training and curricula for establishing peer support groups in churches, synagogues, schools or social agencies. These curricula are available for children and adults of all ages and religious denominations who are grieving a death, divorce or any other painful transition in their family. 2100 Golf Road #370, Rolling Meadows, IL, 60008-4231, 800-266-3206 www.rainbows.org.
- Fernside, founded in 1986 in Cincinnati, Ohio, is a non-profit, non-denominational organization serving grieving children and their families. Support groups, referrals, publications, summer camps, peer groups, newsletters and phone help. 2303 Indian Mound Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45212, 513-841-1012 www.fernside.org.
- Kidsaid is a safe place on the web for kids to share and to help each other deal with grief about any loss. Share feelings, show artwork and stories, meet with peers. Professionally directed to ensure safe content for children. www.kidsaid.com.
- The Dougy Center provides support in a safe place where children, teens, and their families who are grieving a death can share their experiences as they move through their healing processes. Through a National Center for Grieving Children and Families, the Dougy Center also provides support and training locally, nationally and internationally to individuals and organizations seeking to assist children and teens in grief. PO Box 86852, 3909 SE 52nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97286, 503-775-5683 www.grievingchild.org.
- AARP Grief and Loss Program is an outreach program in which trained widowed volunteers offer support to newly widowed persons of all ages. Services include one-to-one outreach, educational meetings, support groups, guest speakers, online discussion groups, publications and training materials, referrals to community resources and social activities. 601 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20049, 800-424-3410 www.aarp.org/griefprograms.
- WidowNet is an online information and self-help resource for and by widows and widowers. Topics covered include grief, bereavement, recovery and other information helpful to people of all ages who have suffered the death of a spouse or life partner. www.widownet.org.
- Parents Without Partners provides help to single parents following death, divorce, separation or never-married through discussions, professional speakers, study groups, publications, youth scholarships and social activities for families and adults. 1650 South Dixie Highway, Suite 510, Boca Raton, FL 33432, 561-391-8833 www.parentswithoutpartners.org.
- THEOS (They Help Each Other Spiritually) is an international organization dedicated to helping newly widowed persons to move successfully through the stages of grief and rebuild their lives through self-development and support groups. Conferences, seminars, classes, literature, and newsletter. 322 Boulevard of the Allies, Suite 105, Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1919, 412-471-7779.
- Society of Military Widows offers support and assistance for widows and widowers of members of all uniformed services. Offers help in coping with adjustment to life through public awareness, newsletters, chapter development guidelines and more. National Headquarters, 5535 Hempstead Way, Springfield, VA 22151, 800-842-3451 www.militarywidows.org.
- Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS) provides resources to assist in rebuilding the lives of surviving families of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty as determined by Federal criteria. COPS also provides training to law enforcement agencies on survivor victimization issues and educates the public of the need to support the law enforcement profession and its survivors. PO Box 3199 - S. Highway 5, Camdenton, MO 65020, 573-346-4911 www.nationalcops.org.
- Parents Of Murdered Children (POMC) is a national helping organization which is specifically for the survivors (friends and family) of homicide victims. Peer counseling, individual assistance, support and advocacy. Also helps interested parents or immediate family members form local chapters. 100 East Eighth Street, Suite B-41, Cincinnati, OH 45202, 888-818-POMC www.pomc.com.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is a non-profit grass roots organization with more than 600 chapters nationwide that looks for effective solutions to the drunk driving and underage drinking problems while supporting those who have already experienced the pain of these senseless crimes. Local chapters, newsletter, victim support, legal and financial information, memorial tributes. P.O. Box 541688, Dallas, TX 75354-1688, 800-GET-MADD (438-6233) www.madd.org.
- Remove Intoxicated Drivers (RID) provides court accompaniment, help obtaining restitution, criminal justice system/process education, victim advocacy and public awareness campaigns. Support groups, newsletter, local chapters. PO Box 520, Schenectady, NY 12301, 518-372-0034, 518-393-HELP (24 hour hotline) www.rid-usa.org.
- Join Together Online is a national resource for communities fighting substance abuse and gun violence and advocating for drug and alcohol treatment programs. 441 Stuart Street 7th Floor, Boston, MA 02116, 617-437-1500 www.jointogether.org.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence is committed to organize for collective power by advancing transformative work, thinking and leadership of communities and individuals working to end the violence in our lives. Public education, direct victim assistance, referrals, policy development, local chapters, newsletter and journal. PO Box 18749, Denver, CO 80218, 800-799-7233, www.ncadv.org.
- Sexual Violence Center offers support, options, and resources that encourage empowerment and healing for families and victims of sexual assault. Free and confidential services are available to women and men of all ages. Advocacy, counseling, support groups, legal clinic. 2100 Pillsbury Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404, 612-871-5100 (business), 612-871-5111 (crisis/help line) www.sexualviolencecenter.org.
- Victims of Crime Resource Center provides information and referral to victims, their families, victim service providers and other interested parties. Center staff research legal issues related to victims, monitor legislation, publish a newsletter, and participate in outreach activities. McGeorge School of Law, 3200 Fifth Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95817, 800-VICTIMS www.1800victims.org.
- National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) promotes rights and services for victims of crime and crisis everywhere through national advocacy, crisis intervention, training and technical assistance. Newsletters, information updates, conferences. 1730 Park Road NW, Washington DC 20010, 202-232-6682, 800-try-nova (victim referrals) www.try-nova.org.
- Office for Victims of Crime Resource Center oversees diverse programs that benefit victims of crime. Provides substantial funding to state victim assistance and compensation programs, supports trainings designed to educate criminal justice and allied professionals regarding the rights and needs of crime victims. 810 7th Street NW, Washington, DC 20531, 800-331-0075 www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc.
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, P.C. is a national public interest law firm that marshals the skills and resources of trial lawyers to create a more just society through creative litigation, public education, and innovative work with the broader public interest community. 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, 202-797-8600 www.tlpj.org.
- The American Association of Suicidology is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the understanding and prevention of suicide. Promotes research, public awareness programs, education and training for professionals and volunteers. Serves as a national clearinghouse for information on suicide for AAS members, suicide researchers, therapists, prevention specialists, survivors of suicide, and people who are in crisis. 4201 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 408, Washington, DC 20008, 202-237-2280, 800-SUICIDE (crisis hotline) www.suicidology.org.
- Survivors Helping Survivors offers support groups for people mourning a death by suicide. Public and professional education, linkage with other suicide groups, monthly newsletter. Marcia Williams, Emergency Department, St. Lukes Medical Center, 2900 West Oklahoma Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53215, 414-649-6333/649-6230, or Mental Health Association County, 734 North 4th Street, Suite 325, Milwaukee, WI 53203, 414-276-3122.
General Grief Support
- The Association for Death Education and Counseling (ADEC) is a multi-disciplinary professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence in death education, bereavement counseling, and care of the dying. Provides information, support, and resources to its multicultural membership and the public. 342 North Main Street,West Hartford, CT 06117-2507, 860-586-7503 www.adec.org.
- Support Officer offers online support to families during crisis, tragedy and trauma. Resources for the bereaved as well as friends, family and caregivers. http://supportofficer.com.
- The Grief Resources Catalog is a resource center dedicated to providing grief support products for those who may be grieving the death of a loved one. Materials designed to assist those in a journey through grief and for friends, relatives and grief professionals who want to help someone who is experiencing grief. 5021 Vernon Avenue #209, Edina, MN 55436, 952-922-3469 www.griefresourcescatalog.com.
- The Center for Loss and Life Transition is a private organization dedicated to furthering our understanding of -and compassion for- the complex set of emotions we call grief. Provides help for the bereaved and caregivers. Comprehensive publications and resource products. 3735 Broken Bow Road, Fort Collins, CO 80526, 970-226-6050 www.centerforloss.com.
- The Centering Corporation is a family owned and operated business that is dedicated to serving the needs of those healing from loss through grief literature and other resources. 7230 Maple Sreet, Omaha, NE 68134, 402-553-1200 www.centering.org
- Compassion Books has over 400 resources to help children and adults through serious illness, death, loss, grief and bereavement. Reviewed and selected by knowledgeable professionals. 7036 State Highway 80 South, Burnsville, NC 28714, 800-970-4220 www.compassionbooks.com.
- National Public Radio: The End of Life - Exploring Death in America broadcasts regular programs in this series. Download transcripts of the original broadcasts as well as resources, a bibliography, and readings. There is also a place to tell your own story and give feedback to the programmers. www.npr.org/programs/death/.
- Crisis, Grief & Healing is a place online where men and women can discuss, chat, or simply browse to understand and honor the many different paths to heal strong emotions. www.webhealing.com.
- Beyond Indigo is an online community for families and professionals that contains links such as message boards, chats, grief support, after loss, emotional planners, articles, relaxation techniques and more. www.beyondindigo.com.
- Healing the Spirit is LifeNet's new extensive bereavement support website aimed to promote healing and peace for organ and tissue donor families. www.healingthespirit.org.
- Hospice Foundation of America provides leadership in the development and application of hospice and its philosophy of care with the goal of enhancing the American health care system and the role of hospice within it. www.hospicefoundation.org.