Cauliflower No-Mash Potatoes
½ cup Per Serving
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 to 2 tsp. prepared horseradish (0 to 20mg sodium per teaspoon, depending on brand)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic so that it exposes the insides of the bulb.
- Place both garlic haves in a small piece of foil.
- Drizzle the top of the exposed bulb with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, wrap tightly, and place on a sheet pan or in an ovenproof dish, and set the garlic in the oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower florets off the stem (should yield about 4 cups) and set aside.
- Place a steamer basket in a medium size pot and fill the pot with water so that it’s just below the steamer basket. Then place the florets on top of the steamer basket, bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, and lower the heat to medium-low. Steam for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft. Carefully remove the cauliflower to another bowl and drain the pot.
- Using a cloth, dry the inside of the pot and set aside...we’ll get back to it in a moment.
- When the garlic is tender and cool to the touch, use your fingers to remove the roasted bulbs from their husk. Or, on a cutting board, place the flat side of a knife over an individual bulb and with the palm of your hand, smash out the roasted garlic flesh. Set aside.
- In your pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. When hot, add in the garlic and stir. Add the steamed cauliflower and horseradish. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring, and then take it off the heat.
- Use a potato masher or an immersion blender to transform the cauliflower from chunky to creamy.
- When it looks like mashed potatoes, add the yogurt, the black pepper, and chives.
- Stir gently until combined and serve immediately or cover and keep cool in the refrigerator, reheating quickly right before eating.
- Calories 132
- Carbohydrates 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Protein 6.1 g
- Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Sodium 80.3 mg
- Potassium 688.3 mg
- Calcium 78.1 mg
- Phosphorus 124.6 mg