KEEP Healthy is NKF’s community-based initiative to educate about the kidneys, risk factors for kidney disease, and steps to take to keep kidneys healthy.
What does the KEEP Healthy check-up include?
- Risk Survey
- Body Mass Index (BMI): height and weight measurements
- Blood pressure check
- ACR urine test for albumin (a type of protein) – For individuals at risk only!
- Free educational materials
- Opportunity to speak with a health care professional
After the KEEP Healthy
- Talk to your doctor
- Talk to your doctor about your risk factors for kidney disease and ask about any other kidney tests you may need.
- Follow healthy lifestyle advice — eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables, be physically active most days, drink lots of water, and avoid smoking.
- If you have any questions, call our NKF Cares patient hotline toll-free at 1.855.NKF.CARES (1.855.653.2273).
Who is at risk?
- Anyone with high blood pressure, diabetes
- Anyone with a family history of kidney failure
- African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders and American Indians
- Those age 60 and older
- Those who are overweight or obese
What to do if at risk:
- Exercise regularly
- Control weight
- Stay hydrated
- Reduce salt intake
- Moderate protein consumption
- Create a kidney-healthy eating plan with a dietician