Show Me CKDIntercept Conference
About this event
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a major public health issue that is underrecognized and underdiagnosed. Of the estimated 635,000 adults in Missouri with CKD, 9 out of 10 are not aware that their kidneys are impaired. While anyone with diabetes or hypertension is at risk for developing CKD, communities of color are disproportionately impacted by CKD.
The goal of the Show Me CKDIntercept initiative is to develop a road map that will guide healthcare leaders in Missouri in driving a cultural shift in primary care, toward increasing the early diagnosis and management of CKD, especially in high-risk populations in Missouri.
In October 2008, the Missouri Chronic Kidney Disease Taskforce (established by the Missouri State Legislature, RSMo 192.632) published recommendations designed to improve CKD recognition and care in Missouri. Recommendations included:
- Universally use and recognize the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR)
- Conduct basic CKD screening that includes blood pressure monitoring to assure detection of CKD in Stages 1 – 3, earlier stages, versus Stages 4 and 5
- Provide CKD education to primary care providers
- Engage public and private insurers and payers
- Increase funding for CKD education
- Increase collaboration among interested parties
Our vision is for the Show Me CKDIntercept Conference to build upon the task force recommendations and bring together stakeholders in Missouri to shape a state level strategy that reduces barriers to CKD testing, increases CKD detection, diagnosis and management within primary care. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that every person living with CKD has the information and support they need to live long, productive lives.
This event is by invitation only.
Thank you to our program partner:
Thank you to the Show Me CKDIntercept conference chairs:
- Welcome and Recap – 8:15-8:45am
- Panel Discussion – 8:45-9:15 am
- Breakout Sessions - 9:15-11:30am
- Breakout Session 1 9:15-10:15am
- Clinical Considerations for CKD in Primary Care
- Engaging Community & Community-based Solutions
- Break 10:15-10:30
- Breakout Session 2 10:30-11:30am
- Policy, Payment & HEDIS measure
- Wellness and Prevention
- Breakout Session 1 9:15-10:15am
- Closing discussion - Building a Roadmap for Missouri - 11:30 am - 12:30pm
- Overview of CKD and Disparities in Care
- The State of CKD in Missouri
- CKD from a Patient’s Perspective
The most impactful piece of the Show Me MO CKDintercept event will be the breakout sessions. During these sessions, leaders and change-makers from various organizations will collaborate on strategies to improve CKD prevention, diagnosis, and treatment in Missouri.
Below is a description of the breakout sessions that will be held during the Show Me MO CKDintercept event. Each breakout session focuses on a different aspect of CKD prevention and care and includes specific goals and background information to contextualize the topic. Recommendations from the 2008 task force are also included to highlight the longevity of the problem and the previously proposed interventions.
Wellness and Prevention
Policy, Payment, and HEDIS Measurement
Clinical Considerations for CKD in Primary Care
Engaging Community and Community-based Solutions
A full description of breakout sessions and questions can be found HERE.